Application Deadline: January 27, 2020
About the Award
This Best Student Presentation Award recognizes outstanding work by students in each technical area. In addition to judging the technical content of the student’s work, oral presentations and the student’s role in the work are assessed. One “Best Student Presentation Award” is given out for each technical area of the PVSC.
All finalists for the Best Student Presentation Award are given oral presentations at the conference, and their abstract is specially noted in the program guide as being a student award finalist. The award for each technical area’s awardee consists of a $200 monetary award, plaque, and recognition at the PVSC closing ceremony.
Rules & Eligibility
- Student must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student as of the submission deadline.
- Student must be the presenting author, but does not need to be listed as first author.
- Student must submit the Student Award Application, which includes a Research Statement.
- Award Finalists, selected prior to the conference, are required to present their work as an oral presentation at the conference.
- NOTE: any student award finalist who is unable to attend the PVSC for any reason will forfeit his / her position in the competition, and an alternate will be selected from the remaining student award applicants.
- Selection Criteria
- Excellence in submitted abstract including novelty, advancement to status of field, broader impact of research
- Demonstrated knowledge of topic area and significant contribution to current work as described in Research Statement
- Significance of Results: novelty of work, advancement of field, thoroughness of work, accuracy of analysis.
- Clarity of Presentation Material: Usefulness of written and graphical information, efficient use of graphics / figures to convey complex information, logical flow of results, aesthetics of presentation slides.
- Mastery of topic: Knowledge of topic demonstrated in oral delivery and in answering questions.
- Oral Presentation: Organized summary of work is provided including the necessary background, description of approach, description of results, and conclusions; knowledgeable of presented research and its relation to the state of field; succinctness, efficient use of time.
- Prepare your extended abstract for submission to PVSC.
- Complete the Research Statement Form.
- Within the Abstract Submission process, fill out sections (1)-(4) as normal
- Under Abstract Submission Section (5) please fill out the following: (see HELP file)
- Submission Type: Select Oral Preferred
- Electronic Poster (ePoster): No, do NOT consider for ePoster. Poster presenters are not eligible for the Best Student Presentation Award.
- Journal of Photovoltaics Consideration: This is your choice
- Training Program: Select Yes. You must be a student to be considered for this award.
- Check the box to specify that you are applying for the student award, complete the student award application, and upload your Research Statement Form.
- If another author submits the abstract, you must obtain the abstract number from the submitting author and submit your application separately.
- The top 2-5 applicants from each technical area will be selected as finalists.
- If you are identified as a finalist, you will be notified by email and your abstract will be accepted for oral presentation.
- Should you accept the invitation to present at the conference, your status as a finalist will be indicated in the program guide.
Questions? Contact the Awards Chair firstname.lastname@example.org